Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A dear friend of both Suzette and I passed away yesterday night. Wendy Tidwell will remain in our hearts. She was generous, and always pleasant even though she had health problems for quite sometime. She and her husband were recently sealed in the Temple. I was so impressed with her humility and patience. She and her husband were diligent students of the gospel. Although Gary Tidwell has his wife in this life, I am convinced he will reunite in a life to come. My heart goes out to them.

Death is interesting passage of life which we all must go through. At 60, I have much more mortal life behind me than in front of me and thus I think of it on occasion. Wendy's passing has given me time to pause and ponder again.

Death is obviously an unknown. People have varying thoughts on what happens next based on their personal beliefs. I am convinced this mortality is a mere moment in our lifetime, but a very significant moment. It is all we know. We have very little, if any, recollection on what went on before and nothing about what lies ahead of us. We have heard of those who have experiences of death and returning. My mother has experienced this herself when she was younger. I have had no such experience, but am convinced that there is something to those near death events that others experience.

One author used the the term "The Birth We Call Death" as a way of describing death as merely a process of moving from mortality to immortality. Regardless of how it is described, death is a process that is frightening because we don't know with absolute surety what lies on the other side. It is a faith issue. We describe death in a way that we try to comfort the survivors.

I am comforted in my faith. I hope Gary finds comfort and since all must experience the passing of a loved one and death itself, I wish the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment